Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 16

Went to the grocery store today, my cart loaded up with goodies, and began unloading my tasty treats and frozen dinners (to the tune of $175, but I saved 38 bucks with my Giant card!), while the checker was trying to figure out how to input the gift card of the lady in front me. It took forever, in that I had taken over the entire conveyor belt, and was restlessly drumming my fingers on the metal pre-conveyor overload way station, when he turned to me and said, "This is the express lane." Still went through it, but hey, anytime you get a chance to say "awww shit" in front of the lady-in-front-of-you-at-the-checkout-counter's four year old kid is a win in my book.

That is neither here nor there, so back to the meme. Yesterday was fanfic, and as I mentioned, I do not read fanfic. Of course, as luck would have it, Deadspin posted something about a Kobe Bryant murdering people fanfic, and as I was about to click through, I realized that if I had read it, I would have had to post about it. So I did not. I am lazy. I would apologize, but, meh.

Day 16--A Song That Makes You Cry (or nearly)

During my cross-midwest jaunts that I frequently took back in the days of college and law school (heading back to the Chicago Suburbs from Ohio or vice versa), I would frequently end up in a radio deadzone, where the only thing that comes through is Christian music and AM stations. Usually I went with the AM stations because, come on, hearing one topic in sports debated endlessly on various ESPNRadio affiliates is the only thing more mind-numbing thing than driving through middle america (imagine listening to five hours of people talk about Gilbert Arenas and his guns, with no new information mind you, just crazy speculation, half-cocked opinion, and cheesy fireworks commercials). So when I would get sick of that, I would flip over to FM, hit the scan button, and watch the radio (err, road too) scroll through 94 point something reach 107.9, and roll back to 88.1, where I knew I would shortly get some kick-ass christian shit.

On this particular trip (I have no clue when, where, or how this trip existed, but I am 89.5 percent certain it did exist as a road trip and not an LSD trip. Cause I have never done LSD. That I am aware of), I stumbled across a song that eloquently combined piano and lyrics in a haunting, upbeat, scary, hopeful, and unknowing sort of way (when you see the subject matter of the song, it should make sense). It rocked my socks off. When the song ended, I stayed on the christian station, anxiously hoping I could get the name of the song before I went out the stations range. It must have been divine intervention, because in 4 minutes of the song, and the five miles I drove, left me with static as the song ended. I stayed with it, hoping against hope that I would hear who had done this majesty of a song, but it never came through. And I was very sad.

Since I have no music ear, and worse memory, so that when I finally got in front of a computer my Googling (it is a search using the Search Engine Google, Avoid Genericide!) revealed nothing to the lyricist and composer of the song. Alas, I though all was lost.

Then!, as luck would have it, the lyrics started coming back to me a few weeks later, and with better keywords Google's search algorithm was able to guide me to the song makes me cry. Sometimes. Usually when drunk. I mean always when drunk.

*note: the runner-up is my eventual first dance song with the girl of dreams. I did not really want to use that here. But that song makes me cry ligo too.

*ex post note: there is no official video for this other than some crappy remixes. So I had to go with the best sounding one. I do apologize for the anime pictures.

No comments: