Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hello World

This is what I hate.

On Friday I nailed down an apartment 1,000 miles that I was planning on moving in sight unseen. All I had to do was overnight a package from Illinois to Virginia containing my deposit checks. Easy enough, except that it was 3:30 p.m. and I was at my parent's house and my checkbook was 45 minutes away. No problem I thought. I made the 45 minute trip in a record breaking 35 minutes (no traffic at 3:30, go figure), made it to the closest UPS store, and got all my copies and faxes in order.

Then the UPS clerk offered my a choice. The package could arrive by Monday for $30 or on Saturday for $50. Never one to count my chickens before they hatch, I went with the Saturday delivery and promptly informed the apartment people that the package would arrive on Saturday.

Then I forgot about.

I was a little surprised that I did not hear back from the apartment complex on Monday, but did not think much of it. Same thing on Tuesday, though I began to get a little concerned. But I eventually forgot about it and went out for the evening. When I got home, I decided, as an afterthought, to check the Tracking Number to make sure that it was delivered. Yeah, you see where this is going.

On Tuesday morning, my package was sitting in California. Far as I can tell, it is still there. It was supposed to be in Virginia on Saturday morning. Instead of going 1,000 miles east, it went 2,000 miles west and still has 3,000 miles left to go.

So what was I to do? I immediately e-mailed the apartment complex, but that will not do any good for now. It is 2 a.m. there. For all I know, when they did not get the checks when I told them they would, they said screw me (without a phone call because talking to people can be a bitch when they need you to understand a peculiar circumstance), and leased the apartment to a new person. Or maybe they are still holding it for me. I did fax them my application and they said they would hold it for me, but the fact is, they do not have my cash yet, so it is not like they owe me anything.

I checked the UPS website. Apparently, there is no customer service numbers for when your package gets lost. I checked www.upsstore.com, but for whatever reason, the location search is fucked up and does not work. This makes it difficult to even find out if there is any store that is open 24 hours anywhere in the country. This dearth of information from preventing what I really want to know, When the hell my package is going to arrive. I guess this means that I have to call or head to the UPS store tomorrow. I will probably go in person. I want my fifty bucks back (but not if it limits my remedies to only the refund).

So this is what I hate. It is now 1:20 in the morning. And there is nothing I can do. Something is fucked up, and there is no way that I can fix it right now. Everything is out of my control. Nothing is going to change in the next five hours. I can only accept that and deal with it.

I hate this.

No comments: