Thursday, September 4, 2008

I'm A Dope, and I suck at Golf

My genius knows no bounds. I post a link on my old blog to the new blog and then do not post anything because I am fervently enjoying my last month of unemployment/student status until I become a working stiff for the next 30 years at the end of this month. The thing about driving all over the country and seeing old friends is that it leaves little time to write blog posts, mostly because it is hard to write intelligently when the spirits have made you cross-eyed.

So I will leave with a few meaningless thoughts from the past week to divert you from wondering why in the hell the Republicans are stupid enough to try to purge the inter-tubes of the the Sarah Palin Sports Highlight video.

**********

I truly suck at golf. I had not played in five years, but still. What a miserable experience. By hole 13 I just said fuck it, and exclusively used my 7, 8, and 9 irons (plus the putter) (and I could not hit the pitching wedge for shit) because that was the only to get the ball to go in the general direction I wanted it to go (though I was dead on accurate with the nine iron to the green from about 50 yards!). It was so bad that I think I am going to scrape some money together, buy a decent set of clubs (I used rentals when I played), and hit the driving as much as possible for the next year just because I cannot stand to suck that much at something

**********

I think this may be the busiest gas station in the United States.

View Larger Map
I went there four times in three days, at various times in the day and it was like something out the '70s. Well, maybe not that bad, but there was always a line to get gas. The first time I went in, I actually asked the clerk if it was always this busy. She answered in the affirmative. So, if you are ever in Rochester, watch out for that gas station.

***********

Pro Football Hall of Fame? Meh.

***********

My grandma, at 92, has finally reached the point where she really cannot take care of herself full-time. My mom asked me for thoughts on how to protect her assets while still getting all the appropriate health care. I gave her a couple of ideas, by my advice mostly consisted of talking to an attorney who is an expert in Elder Law. She did, and he helped out a lot (though my mom is now buried in a mountain of paperwork).

So for those recent law graduates who are struggling to land a job, look into Elder Law. Seriously. It is not sexy or highly profitable, but it is an area that is going to grow and grow. Get in on the ground floor. And, as an added benefit, you are actually going to do something that helps people. Good for all of you altruistic folks.

No comments: