Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Now that is not something you see everyday

I was driving to the Target today, and I passed something I usually only see in Indiana:




Call me naive, but I did not realize fireworks were legal in VA. They just passed smoking bans a month or so ago!

I did spend a July Fourth in DC once and witnessed quite the amazing spectacle. From the house where I lived (about a mile north of the Capitol Building) I was able to mostly witness the "official" DC fireworks (damn washington monument kept getting in the way). But then, oh, that is when the real party started.

Fireworks came in from all over the district. "Light the Night!" as Electro would say. It was quite the sight. Except for when one malfunctioned and almost hit a guy across the street from me. And then another one burned out right before hitting the roof I was on. But, good times all around.

Still, having grown up in IL, I was quite shocked to see a fireworks shed erected in the middle of a parking lot. Course, a little research indicates why it was just erected and not a mainstay like Krazy Kaplan's just over the IL-IN border.

VA does not allow any cool fireworks. Ah well. Maybe I will just head into the district for the Fourth.

No comments: